5. To make pizzas: Split a scone in half and arrange on a baking sheet. Spread about 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, hummus or bean spread over each half. Top with chicken or fish, vegetables and herbs. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over top. Bake at 400 degrees 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Makes 8 Scones
These tarragon-spiked breakfast favorites are superb. For a tasty change, add low-glycemic pizza toppings.
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats or spelt flakes
3 tablespoons organic cane sugar crystals or granulated sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon *
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large egg
* Or, substitute fresh oregano, marjoram, thyme and/or sage.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. Make scones: In a bowl, combine flour, oats, cane sugar, tarragon, baking powder and salt. With a fork, beat olive oil and egg into buttermilk. Use fork to mix liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Dough should be dry enough to handle. If not, add up to 1/4 cup additional flour.
3. Turn dough onto prepared baking sheet. Pat dough into a circle about 6 inches in diameter and 1-inch-thick. Using a sharp knife, cut circle of dough into 6 wedges.
4. Bake 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool. Store scones in an airtight container up to 3 days. Or, store in a freezer bag in freezer up to 1 month.