Celtic Recipe of the Day:
Real Scottish Food:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, soda and salt.
2. Sift dry ingredients twice. Add melted butter to buttermilk and mix into the flour with a fork.
3. Form dough into a ball on a lightly floured surfaced and knead gently for a minute.
4. Roll dough into a 12x7x1 inch oval and score the top with a knife.
5. Place on baking sheet and bake about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Brush top with melted butter.
Source: A Collection of Old Family Scottish Recipes by Lynn Stevenson