The Astrology of 2018
Over the past ten years, the people of planet Earth have experienced a cataclysmic shift that has affected virtually every area of human life. Pluto (planet of deep transformational forces) changed signs in 2008, moving from expansive Sagittarius which embraced migration and “one world” culture as well as celebrity and theology into the contracting sign of Capricorn which insists on being practical and creating strong foundations that can’t be buffeted around by the whims of the world. Pluto then was drawn into a protracted conflict with Uranus, a planet of rebellion and revolution, in the individualistic sign of Aries and predictably, revolutions occurred around the world. The Arab Spring, the Trump revolution in the US, Brexit in the UK, revolutions in the UK, and a dismantling of governments in Africa and elsewhere (Pluto in Capricorn) by revolutionary forces (Uranus in Aries).
I believe that 2018 will be the year of renewed stability. That is not to say that peace will rule the planet, but new foundations are being built to replace the old ones which have been destroyed and the transformations of the past ten years will now be accepted as the new normal. When our old reality has crumbled into the mists of history, there is nothing to do but to move forward and the planetary influences this year will help with that.
There are no outer planet alignments. The outer planets (Uranus, Neptune and Pluto) are the big movers and shakers. I think of them as transformational forces that inspire us to evolve and change, and when they interact with each other they stimulate powerful changes in the world around us as well as in our inner worlds. In 2018 there are no major aspects of the outer planets, and no significant stressful aspects even of Jupiter or Saturn. Without these dramatic planetary incidents to rock and shake our world, the necessary rebuilding of the human condition can take place much more easily.
Four of the eclipses fall on the Leo/Aquarius axis. The Leo/Aquarius polarity is about balancing our individual needs and desires (Leo) with the needs of the collective (Aquarius). Leo is a highly personal sign which craves personal development and individual expression; Aquarius seeks to transcend the personal and to express the Self through interaction with the community. Neither is better than the other, but with four eclipses triggering this dynamic we will be working towards integrating our personal desires for a better life into the fabric of the needs of the collective communities in which we build our lives.
Here are the dates for the 2018 eclipses:
- Lunar eclipse January 31, 2018, at 11 degrees Leo/Aquarius
- Solar eclipse February 15, 2018, at 27 Aquarius/Leo
- Solar eclipse July 12, 2018, at 20 Cancer/Capricorn
- Lunar eclipse July 27, 2018, at 4 degrees Aquarius/Leo
- Solar eclipse August 11, 2018, at 18 degrees Leo/Aquarius
Three important planets will be on Earth signs. Earth signs help to ground us and enforce a practical perspective. Earth is not exciting like Fire nor stimulating like Air, but it can be a welcome respite from the chaos and intense transformation. Pluto is already in Capricorn (since 2008) as noted above. Saturn moved into Capricorn in December 2017 and will remain in that sign until March 21, 2020. Saturn and Pluto can be a bit heavy-handed and when they aspect each other things get a bit intense, but that won’t occur until 2020 so there is no reason to be concerned quite yet.
We also have Uranus, a planet of radical change, moving into the stable and grounded sign of Taurus in May of 2018. I’ll be writing more about that over the coming months but that will serve to calm down the intense radical nature of the political energies over the past seven years of Uranus in fiery Aries.
Chiron will enter Aries April 17, 2018. Chiron is the planet that regulates the healing process in the body, mind, spirit system by triggering psychospiritual wounds that are ready to emerge and heal. Chiron has been in in the spiritual/creative sign of Pisces since 2010, challenging boundaries and pointing out where our illusions have given us the greatest problems. Aries is the sign of individual self-motivation, an important aspect of self-development. Taken to extremes, however, self-motivation can turn into selfishness and greed. In Aries, Chiron acts on the level of the individual to challenge our sense of Self and self-confidence. On the global level, it will reveal the societal wounds caused by individual selfishness. Chiron will be in Aries until 2026.
Important planetary events for 2018:
- Jupiter sextile Pluto January 25, 2018 – September 12, 2018. Aiding in personal transformation and the fulfilment of life goals, this lovely harmonious planetary dance will help to provide support in all of your endeavors, assuming you have a focused intention and a plan of action.
- Chiron enters Aries April 17, 2018 (described above)
- Uranus enters Taurus May 15, 2018 (described above)
- Mars retrograde June 26-August 27, 2018. Mars doesn’t retrograde often (as opposed to the other planets which retrograde at least once a year) so it’s somewhat significant. Mars retrograde periods are important times for personal action and review and can be difficult times to get something new off the ground.
- Jupiter trine Neptune began in 2017, finishes August 19, 2018. This is one of the most beautiful planetary combinations as Jupiter expands and offers hope to all of the creativity and spiritual longing that Neptune inspires.
- Jupiter enters Sagittarius November 8, 2018. When Jupiter enters its own sign of Sagittarius, it’s the beginning of a year of optimism and opportunity.
Stay tuned for more information on these planetary cycles! Many blessings and wishes for a beautiful 2018.
Credit: Astrologer Lynn Hayes