NEW MOON IN CAPRICORN ~ CIRCLING INTO THE WILD UNKNOWN
Today, January 5th, we are bringing in 2019 with a New Moon in Capricorn at 5:38 pm PST (8:38 pm EST). With the partial solar eclipse riding on the back of this New Moon along with Saturn (Capricorns ruling planet) in close proximity, you may find yourself in a place of reflection.
Capricorn Moon energy is feminine and earthy. She connects us to our ambitions, encourages us to dream, and brings in the energy of productivity, stability, and opportunity. She brings you energy to look at what you want to achieve. Under a Dark Moon in Capricorn, we can find it easier to direct our thoughts to see beyond what is possible ~ to find our confidence and pay attention to our relationships.
These Dark Moon hours offer us the time for circling into the wild unknown, the darkness. When we take the time to practice finding comfort in these dark hours we learn to slow down and connect to our inner teacher. It also offers us the opportunity to be present to how it is ~ now. In the darkness, we find there is nothing to hold onto but our truth, our faith, our inner knowing. Many times it is here, in the darkness that we can recognize where our true nourishment comes from. Darkness is the place where magic is waiting to happen.
As we move into the New Crescent Moon on Sunday, we can feel the energy rise up in us to act on our faith with courage and commitment. And do not forget that it can take many leaps of faith to get us where we are headed! Water carves out her path to create momentum ~ as each small tributary flows to the same source she creates a river!
This is a very energetic time and one that can bring positive, active energy to your intentions, to move them forward or to move you forward in your way ~ because you are each as unique as the snowflakes that fall from the sky.
A few thoughts on rituals for this Dark/New Moon in Capricorn:
- Capricorn is sometimes called the Seagoat and depicted with a mermaid tail at the back and a goat body for the front. As a Capricorn, I have always felt the energy of the earth, need to be at the highest point, yet called to the water! So I have always explained myself as having one foot on land and one foot in the water. The Dark Moon is a wonderful time to bath and release before the planting of your new moon intentions/seeds. Taking a bath can bring quiet to body and mind. Add gemstones like smoky quartz, garnet, and Jasper. And candles and essential oils, such as eucalyptus, rosemary or Juniper, to bring additional soothing to the mind, body, and spirit. Water is a great teacher on following your path of least resistance.
- The Celtic tree for this first New Moon cycle (December 24 – January 20th) is the Birch, known as Beith (pronounced ‘bay’). She is also known as the White Goddess or Lady of the Woods. Although she carries a gentle sway and slender trunk she is revered as a powerful symbol for new beginnings, hope and the promise of what is to come. If you are near these beautiful trees, gather some of her papery bark, dry it out and write your new year’s intention on it or words to carry into the New Year. Place it on your altar or hang it somewhere special or even over your altar, bed or meditation space as you move through the waxing moon and towards the Full Moon ~ it will carry her energy.
- The Dark Goddess energy of Saturn is about limits and boundaries. Capricorns are also builders ~ so this is a time when you may want to build boundaries to separate your inside from your outside. It is a way to create an internal home or foundation. The idea is to create boundaries for each person in you and in your life. This internal/external boundary creates a space of harmony with each person or relationship you are working on/with. These are not boundaries to keep others out, but to block or interrupt old patterns or behaviors and protect you against old fears or regrets. These barriers/boundaries create a new space for fresh starts. If we lack these barriers, we can feel unclear about our own goals and strengths. When we come from our center of uniqueness we build our relationships on the foundations of security, love, and respect.
- Start the year with a vision board ~ these can be done multiple times over the year! Since we are at the beginning of the year, I also encourage you to leave room so that you can add to the board over this waxing period. It gives you the opportunity to be open to ideas, signs, or animals that move into your path over this waxing period. We are in a high energy time and it may show up in a myriad of ways to help you act on your dreams for 2019.
- Do a New Moon cleanse to create greater focus and clarity in creating your intention. Starting tomorrow morning drink only liquids for 24 hours. No caffeine and if possible rest and go for a quiet walk or meditate. You can fast only on water and herbal teas or add fruit and vegetable juices and smoothies.
- Daily rituals of meditation, tarot cards, prayer, chanting, yoga, dancing, writing or whatever has a heart for you can bring structure and beauty to your life. They can be done alone or with others and can be 5 minutes or 50 minutes ~ yet if they are done daily they can shift you in so many ways. Let this be a year where you start or create a new daily ritual.
We also have a Lunar Eclipse that is occurring at the Full Moon on January 20th ~ I mention this as many times between eclipses we can find that doors open for us, so keep this in your mind/heart as we move through the waxing moon.
This Capricorn earth sign also calls us to place our feet, our eyes, and our ears to nature. Spend some time outside and soak up her beauty remembering you hold that same beauty inside.
And for those of you who are early risers, Venus and Jupiter are visible just before Sunrise and starting on January 9th, Saturn will be joining them!